Star Analyser in ZWO mini filter wheel Paton Hawksley Spectroscope Star Analyser 100 · Tommy Blomqvist · ... · 2 · 179 · 0

Tombee 1.51
· 
Hi there!

I am about to order a Paton Hawksley Star Analyser for simple spectroscopy of brighter objects.
There are two models; SA100 with 100 line/mm and SA200 with 200 lines/mm.

I'm planning to use this with my 150/750 Newton and ASI533MC camera.
I really would like to put it in my filter wheel that is mounted directly on the camera.

The thing is that this makes the filter to be quite close to the sensor (around 10-12 mm).
This is perfect for my 1,25" filters but that makes it a bit too close for SA100.
The SA200 will make a better match for my configuration.

BUT;
  Is there any aspects with this that should make me go for the SA100 and mount it further from the sensor?

BTW;
  What experience are there out there/here with these Star Analysers?
  There are some images on Astrobin but not many and I am wondering how you feel about the results you can get from it.
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  2 likes
This may help:

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/staranalyser2/evaluation_en.htm
francescoverardi 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hello,
I use a setup similar to yours, just my scope has 950 mm FL. The Sa 100 is too thick for the efw mini, I use the Sa 200 and get good results, maybe a little too high sampling for my average seeing.
For point sources the Sa gives you the spectra, it is very interesting to judge by yourself the spectral class of a star, you get an insight to a deeper layer of astronomy. 
For me the mind blowing surprise is when you point a nebula and get the image. For example with the Eskimo you see the Ha and OIII images splitted and they have different shapes !

CS Francesco
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.