Aluminum Shroud for the CDK's (new product?) Planewave CDK14 · Habib Sekha · ... · 16 · 388 · 1

Habib_Sekha 0.00
· 
After reading the topics here (I'm about to buy a CDK14) I saw that there some (potential) problems with the shroud and that there are also holes in the most outer ring causing problems in some cases.

I've been offered the normal shroud but saw on the European distributor site that there is also an aluminum version with a flap which  unfortunately is controlled manually.

The holes on the outer ring fall outside the aluminum shroud.

However, factory installation is required. So there is a complication if for whatever reason the shroud has to be removed.

I assume cleaning the primary mirror might also become more difficult?

I would appreciate to hear the thoughts  about this shroud by the CDK users.

FWIW, I have been informed by the distributor that it is a relatively new product and when asked if they had already experience with it, the answer was a "no".

https://www.planewave.eu/en/accessories/ota-accessories/solid-aluminum-shroud

Thanks!
CCDnOES 5.61
· 
·  1 like
Interesting. I would wonder if the cap folds all the way back? If not, it would be quite a sailboat in the wind. Especially an issue on an L mount.
Lostone 0.90
· 
Hummm,  I think i'll have to do some research on this.  Will have to check if it's available in the states directly from Planewave.  Now what would be a big plus is if that cover also served as a flat's panel.
DarkStar 18.93
· 
·  1 like
Hi,
Not new at all. This is out for years. Has many disadvantages: weight, thermal tube seeing, restricted access to interior, not easy to remove and some more. Baader was not recommending it, when I purchased my CDK. Makes only sense in very few situations.
Edited ...
Lostone 0.90
· 
Did a little checking on the Planewave main site here in the states and it's not even listed.  As what Ruediger mentioned it can be a wind catcher.  only place I see that it would be feasable would be in a remote observatory.  I think i'll stick with my spandex light shroud.  Atleast with it I can get to do some house cleaning when needed.
DarkStar 18.93
· 
·  2 likes
Mark Ellis:
Did a little checking on the Planewave main site here in the states and it's not even listed.  As what Ruediger mentioned it can be a wind catcher.  only place I see that it would be feasable would be in a remote observatory.  I think i'll stick with my spandex light shroud.  Atleast with it I can get to do some house cleaning when needed.

You are right.
Here a low cost advise: some just rap (tin) foil around the truss. Also p\black gift wrapping paper works well. Lightweight, light tight and removable. And all by the price of a euro or less 😉
What I also used was a multipurpose 16” SCT dew cap wrap. Fits perfectly around the truss. Only a bit heavy. But works as good as the Aluminium shroud. 👍

IMG_2002.jpeg
Edited ...
Frodriguez 0.00
· 
Just wondering how people attach the ends of their shroud. I have a 14" with shroud and a section of the the front  or back end often falls away causing diffraction. Is there an easy attach the ends  without putting holes in the shroud for rope or zip ties?
DarkStar 18.93
· 
·  2 likes
Franco Rodriguez:
Just wondering how people attach the ends of their shroud. I have a 14" with shroud and a section of the the front  or back end often falls away causing diffraction. Is there an easy attach the ends  without putting holes in the shroud for rope or zip ties?

I never had the need to attach it. On the back site, I pulled it over the truss connectors, and at the front I pull it to the edge of the front ring. I put in on inside out, and the adjustable cord to the M1 side. No issues at all. No slip, no obstruction.
Frodriguez 0.00
· 
Ah thanks, maybe I'll try it inside out. My issue is that I have a dovetail attached to the top of the scope. It's a planewave one. That causes an issue pulling the shroud over--no where to anchor it. And at the front I have a counterweight, also planewave. The shroud doesn't hold easily to either end. Maybe I'll just punch a few holes and zip tie--inelegant but functional
DrJimSok 0.00
· 
·  1 like
My cds 14 shroud is secured w the drawstring at the back / primary side and I use 4 medium binder clips to secure at the aperture end.  Before I did that the shroud had slipped slightly away from the scope ring and slightly obscured the light path causing 8 point star spikes.
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
Hello,
I’ve been following these threads on the 14” CDK’s in the event I’m lucky enough to acquire one of these instruments. I understand about the spandex shrouds causing issues an all. 
This is more a question for you users. Looking at that aluminum shroud, couldn’t something be made out of kydex, or something very flexible that could wrap around the inside of the truss’s? I was thinking something like a dew shield thats attached by Velcro??? This may sound like a stupid question but I’ve not seen anyone mention this idea, with the exception of the aluminum foil suggestion above?

I’m sure I’m missing something but I thought I’d throw out this idea. I don’t own one yet so I don’t know all the insides and out of these scopes.
Edited ...
DarkStar 18.93
· 
·  1 like
Dale Penkala:
This is more a question for you users. Looking at that aluminum shroud, couldn’t something be made out of kydex, or something very flexible that could wrap around the inside of the truss’s? I was thinking something like a dew shield thats attached by Velcro??? This may sound like a stupid question but I’ve not seen anyone mention this idea, with the exception of the aluminum foil suggestion above?

I’m sure I’m missing something but I thought I’d throw out this idea. I don’t own one yet so I don’t know all the insides and out of these scopes.

Hi Dale,
this is exactly what I have done and described above. The „dew“ cab is held by Velcro. The only difference is, I have attached it outside. Inside has a huge danger you drop something on the mirrors when attaching and removing it. Moreover the risk of obstruction is immanent. And you have to remove it for cleaning and checking regularly. 
Also a permanent “shroud” makes it impossible to put on the M1 cover. You need then an alternative - again tinkering….. keep it simple.
Edited ...
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
Ruediger:
Dale Penkala:

Hi Dale,
this is exactly what I have done and described above. The „dew“ cab is held by Velcro. The only difference is, I have attached it outside. Inside has a huge danger you drop something on the mirrors when attaching and removing it. Moreover the risk of obstruction is immanente. And you have to remove it for cleaning and checking regularly. 
Also a permanent “shroud” makes it impossible to put on the M1 cover. You need then an alternative - again tinkering….. keep it simple.

Hello Ruediger,

Ahhh Ok I guess I missed what you did there sorry, my bad. Ok then if not on the inside can something be done on the outside of the truss’s? I guess thats were the poster about the aluminum foil has done but using Kydex would be much better, or at least I’d think???

Dale
DarkStar 18.93
· 
·  1 like
Dale Penkala:
Ruediger:
Dale Penkala:

Hi Dale,
this is exactly what I have done and described above. The „dew“ cab is held by Velcro. The only difference is, I have attached it outside. Inside has a huge danger you drop something on the mirrors when attaching and removing it. Moreover the risk of obstruction is immanente. And you have to remove it for cleaning and checking regularly. 

Hello Ruediger,

Ahhh Ok I guess I missed what you did there sorry, my bad. Ok then if not on the inside can something be done on the outside of the truss’s? I guess thats were the poster about the aluminum foil has done but using Kydex would be much better, or at least I’d think???

Dale

Hi Dale,

have a look on the photo above, this is exactly what you describe. I have used this: https://www.teleskop-express.de/en/telescope-accessories-5/dewcaps-and-heater-90/kendrick-2039-flexible-dew-cap-for-tube-diameter-535-mm-4586
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
Ruediger:
Dale Penkala:
Ruediger:
Dale Penkala:

Hi Dale,

Hello Ruediger,

Dale

Hi Dale,

have a look on the photo above, this is exactly what you describe. I have used this: https://www.teleskop-express.de/en/telescope-accessories-5/dewcaps-and-heater-90/kendrick-2039-flexible-dew-cap-for-tube-diameter-535-mm-4586

Yes thats what I was just suggesting and wondered if anyone would be using this. I just didn’t remember anyone making a mention of it so thats why I decided to throw the idea out there is all.

Sorry that I missed your post on this 😞
Randy54 0.00
· 
That's a huge shroud, and for my wind-exposed CDK14 a no-go even with an AP1600-AE. I bought the standard shroud, not knowing it was Spandex that glistens in the light. It ruined a couple nights' images, one of the Horsehead that turned out pristine with the shroud pulled up. Now the shroud is a mini-skirt, covering from the top ring to only about 4cm below the secondary with 4 of Rouz's standoffs keeping it round. I filled all the top ring holes with SS hex-head screws that serve two purposes: blocking reflected light as mentioned in this thread, and allowing the Spandex to wrap over the top ring without intruding.

I'm in Bortle 2 skies and don't have the sane problems others have to solve with a shroud. I'm on a hill above the town and innocuous lights hit the secondary and find their way into images. The mini-skirt is low enough to stop that problem, yet I still have access to cover the primary, secondary and baffle. It works for my situation and hasn't resulted in any tracking problems in 10-12mph winds I didn't see before (600s RGB unguided using DecArc).

If anyone would like them, send me a PM and I'll sell you the other four standoffs from Rouz so you can set up a Spandex mini-skirt.
DarkStar 18.93
· 
To be honest: I try to go without any shroud when ever possible. Never had an issue with stray light - even in my suburban housing area with street lamps and garden lights. Made many comparison shots and never had an indication of stray light.

But any shroud produces serious tube seeing in my climate conditions. The main mirror is not cooling down fast enough when the shroud is on during sun set. I only use the shroud, and only then, if there is a serious risk of dew and I would have to heat the main mirror so heavy, that this seeing effect is stronger than the tube seeing. The image quality is severely worse when the shroud is on. The fans can reduce the negative impact, but they are much too loud to be used at night. The neighbors will complain immediately.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.